Saturday, June 13, 2015

Opposites Create Catalyst



"God turns you from one feeling to an other,
And teaches by the means of opposites,
So that you will have two wings to fly,
not one."

Rumi


In my darkness, I could feel the curtain of life closing out the brilliant light. The heaviness of my thoughts were weighing heavily upon my heart.   As I journeyed towards withdrawal, I came across THE ENDLESS PRACTICE by Mark Nepo.  As an after thought, I grabbed this new collection which propelled me back into the light.

THE ENDLESS PRACTICE states "The simplest and bravest way to counter the plight of disheartenment is to move toward what is precious."  When I moved my focus to my favorite memories, I found myself feeling better.  As my heart began to flourish with heartening thoughts,  my body reawakened to the goodness in my life.

These two conflicting thoughts of being disheartened or heartened rubbed together to create a catalyst for higher ground.  Dark thoughts will always come and go, but when we remember to let them pass and return to appreciation, our experiences will be brief and less dramatic.

The challenge is to remember to make the shift from one to the other.  This demands awareness, to constantly monitor the choices we make or where we place our focus.  Too easily we forget we are not Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz falling down the rabbit hole.  We can edit the film unfolding in our minds at will.  When we remain in the positive role as the film maker, making cuts with a skilled hand,  we are increasingly balanced leaning towards the land of joy.





No comments:

Post a Comment