Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Quest or The Find





"You can't always get what you want,
but if you try sometimes,
you might find
you get what you need."

Mick Jagger & Keith Richards


Children are gifted with items carefully chosen, but they end up playing with the boxes.  Adults will seek objects with obsession, and when finally found, a new item moves to the top of the list.  

Searching for something might be more fun that actually obtaining it.  I shopped specifically for a basic navy blue turtleneck tunic for two years, before finding the perfect one.  I applauded my restraint, loved the new find, but truly missed the hunt for the sweater.   Shopping had lost some of its fun, until I decided I needed a particular pair of shoes.  

Over a week, I will make a list of items I need from the store.  When I acquire the objects on my list, check out, and walk to my car. Invariably, I will have forgotten the item I most needed! I immediately begin a new list of things.  
   
While my search for objects may be prolonged, I am willing to not settle, but to await the perfect find.  This makes me wonder which I enjoy more ... the quest or the find?  If I am willing to forgo an object for two years, I must have some level of sincerity of obtaining the need or desire.  

Using this as a template, I realize I am consistent with my spiritual quest as well.  I have been a seeker for as long as I can remember, gathering eclectic information along the way, and never deterred from my search.  Nuggets of information sprinkled along the way, nurture me in a way I both desire and want to keep moving forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment