Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Resonating Compliments







"I am not pretty.
I am not beautiful.
I am as radiant as the sun."

Suzanne Collins


Compliments are difficult to accept as well as the unwanted attention drawn by the comment.  Questioning motive may be our first response.  We also consider the source ... integrity, sincerity, or seasoned elder.  There are just some words that do not feel comfortable wearing.

If we are told we are pretty, we may feel as though it is of face value and not registering our true gifts or skills.  We more readily embrace kind words addressing our deeper qualities or accomplishments.  Recognition that resonates within, can be deeply appreciated.

It is interesting to recall exactly which compliments we hold dear.  Think just for a moment, letting a favorite pop up into our memory.  Here are my two favorites.

1.  I was attending a seminar by Joan Borysenko and during a break, two young women approached me hesitantly.  "You were at the Marianne Williamson lecture weren't you?"   I immediately remembered the presentation, but had no idea who these two people were.  "Yes," I replied.  "Did we meet there?"  Then the compliment unfolded ... "No, but we remember seeing a bright light in you and could feel your energy.  We recognized it again, today."

2.  I was boarding an airplane.  A gentleman stopped me saying, "What is it about you?
You are just so bright!"  I was wearing a blue muslin shirt and gray linen pants.  I turned and simply said, "Thank you!"  Obviously confused about what he was not really seeing, but feeling, he pressed on by saying, "I can't put my finger on it.  There is just something drawing my attention to you!"  

The above mentioned compliments will always stand out in my mind, as I humbly accepted them.  They were not about any materialistic affluence, but based upon who I was inside and what I was projecting out into the world.   Both compliments targeted my inner strength, validating the light I have chosen to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment