Wednesday, September 8, 2021

The Giving Tree




"Give me but a firm spot on which to stand
and I shall move the earth."
Archimedes
 
Over the years I have identified with trees as they displayed and offered comfort, strength, and various patterns for me to see.  They have been mentors, companions and way-showers. I have never stood before a tree pondering if it were reflecting truth or lying to me.  Although sturdy and tall, they demonstrated flexibility by bending with the rains and enduring storms.  

Author, Sid Silverstein wrote a book entitled, THE GIVING TREE.  I have read it to children for years as it remains one of my favorites.  It portrays a tree giving a boy shade, a place to swing from ropes and climb repeatedly. The boy eventually carved his initials into the side of the tree while it simply endured. The tree agreed to be cut into planks for the boy now man to build.  And even as a stump, the tree offered the old man a place to sit.

I would  hope to be more like a tree, yielding to those who come to me.  As I passed through the stages of my own life, giving became more of a simplicity.  Just like trees in the winter, my body has shed its beauty, but stripped naked, one becomes purest of all.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment