Monday, October 5, 2020

The Comfort of a Crazy Quilt







"In truth, there is no point to holding on to the deepest things 
that matter, for they have already shaped us."
Mark Nepo

In the quiet of the night, I stitch segments of my life together as though I were making a quilt.  I lay it upon my lap and recall which each piece represents.  It is curious to me how the blocks are hand stitched, and most of them are quite irregular.  My life resembles a Crazy Quilt.

Even though each quilt piece was intended to be an original, I now notice how closely some resemble each other.  Undoubtedly repeated lessons.  I savor the unique sections which were Divinely blessed, and find myself restitching where the binding has worn thin.

Glancing at a few tear stained pieces, I remember feelings of failure, humiliation and darkness; but, now from a distance, I can see where these, too, helped to shape me into who I am today. Yes, my life may reflect a tattered old quilt, but it continues to comfort, embrace and hold me in the darkest of night.


No comments:

Post a Comment