Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Silent No More




"We realize the importance of our voices
only when we are silenced."
Malala Yousafzai

Individuals can be silenced in numerous ways.  If our preferences are totally ignored, it is a silent message that our expectations don't count.  If we are physically disregarded, there is room for compassion for others, but additionally a need to realize we are not being respected.  When our feelings are obviously not honored, again, we are being silenced.

When I felt it was not safe to express my lonely self, I began writing.  Unfortunately, my work was torn to shreds as though it was an embarrassment to our family.  Believing my parents knew better than I did, I believed by their actions, I had no continuity with the words I dearly loved.

In college, I unearthed my writing, and by receiving support and recognition, I began to flourish.  The growing strength within, kindled my desire to publicly express the need for articulating silence, deciphering dreams and exploring inner landscapes.  This has been my passion, my spiritual connection, and my permission to be silent no more.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment