Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Embarrassing Rubbish




"Mistakes are the portals of discovery."
James Joyce

As a fourth grader, I accidentally experienced the joy of expressing private thoughts into a "Daily Diary".  My father convinced me to burn all of my writings from childhood, high school, and college when I was home for a visit.  He convinced me they were embarrassing rubbish and so I dropped each one into a barrel hot with fire. 

In the years to follow, I would often regret this act of destruction.  It was just another parental action to minimize my thoughts, life, and memories.  This experience of burning became a block, preventing me  from sharing my essays, articles or collected thoughts. It created a necessity to hide ... well, me.

In time, I was able to publish articles, maintain a question and answer column for a few years, and with the help of my writers group, create my blog. VIRGINIA'S VOICE. (Special recognition for Becky Aud Jennison) I share this as each one of us has a creative part that needs to be brought out from hiding and to be explored. Let no one put it asunder!




No comments:

Post a Comment