Thursday, November 28, 2013

Feet Under the Table

 
 
Thankful for what has been.
Grateful for what is.
Praise for the Divine in all.
 
 
 
An 80 year old woman once told me that her most fond memories were when she had feet under her table.  At the time I was a young mother with little children, and although I understood her words, the wisdom of her comment did not show itself until later in my life.
 
As a mother of four adult children with numerous grandchildren, (all involved with  professional jobs and school responsibilities), visits to my home grow farther and farther apart.  I recall the years of setting a beautiful table to express my creative flair.  I used my china, fine glass ware, silver, and tablecloth with matching napkins.  I made certain that everyone attending would find a favorite dish to ensure their sense of connection.  No matter how long the preparations or cleanup took, I loved every minute.
 
Our society is much more mobile now and families are dotted across a map.  Careers are demanding sometimes with both moms and dads with consideration needed for relatives on the other side of the family.  Schedules can become so challenging the decision to just stay at home grows more popular, especially as the grandchildren increase involvement with their activities. 
 
So everyone being home at the same time seems to be lost in the shuffle of change.  I still feel a need to decorate my table to my creative liking and I can invited friends and neighbors to be my guests.  As everyone finds their place to sit, once again, I will have feet under the table.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment