Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Beauty of the Lesson

 
 
 
 

 
 
"The moments of happiness we enjoy
take us by surprise.
It is not that we seize them,
but that they seize us.
 

Ashley Montagu
 
 
 
From my childhood, I lovingly remember fragrant peony bushes, lilac bushes, and lily of the valley to mention just a few.  I always loved trees, but as I grew older, I became especially fond of Weeping Willow trees and Weeping Birch trees. 
 
When I owned my own Country Gift Shop, THE TOWN CRIER, I ordered many baskets from third generation craftsmen.  When a shipment of baskets arrived,  I eagerly unwrapped them and prepared to put them on display.  There were a few very small ones, however, that had white spots on them which I assumed were mold of some sort.  During my attempt to rub these troublesome spots off,  Divine Spirit gently whispered into my ear, "These are Pussy Willow branches!" 
 
Being embarrassed is one thing, and humiliation is another.  I felt so terribly stupid, (not in front of Divine Spirit as God was quite used to my ways), but I felt as though I had dishonored a beautiful species of nature. 
 
A few days later I was telling a friend of my error and how awful I still felt.  She laughed and brought me into her back yard where a huge Pussy Willow bush was growing.  She told me I could cut some branches off, root them in water and then plant them in my yard.  I was immediately grateful for her gesture and the opportunity to restore respect.
 
The branches rooted nicely and I planted them asking for a healthy bush to grow.  Over the years it grew huge.  I would find myself talking to it on many occasions as though it were a dear friend.  It had been a teacher for me and I wanted to reflect my gratitude. 
 
In different scenarios, I think this happens to all of us.  Divine Spirit plants a gift in front of us and we mistake it for something else and ignore or worse yet destroy it.  When we revere gifts from Mother Earth, we become connected with the living aspect existing in every thing.  Things presented before us are always opportunities for learning and growth. 
 
To this day, whenever I see a Pussy Willow, I cringe at the memory of diligently scrubbing away the spots off the branches of a handmade basket.  And being angry at the basket maker for sending faulty goods.  What a little fool.  At least I learned ... eventually ... the beauty of the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment