Friday, November 1, 2013

Spring Forward and Fall Back

 
 


“The only noise now was the rain,
pattering softly with the magnificent indifference of nature
for the tangled passions of humans.”
 
Sherwood Smith
 
 
The thunder and lightning prior to Halloween just added to the mix a few days ago.  "We need the rain," is the chant I use to be mindful and not resentful.  I was a mother for so long, I too easily recall the disappointment of rain near Halloween.  It meant parades would be held in side which is not nearly as much fun.  Trick or treating would be cut short by the loss of patience by the parent standing under the dripping umbrella.  Bags of candy would be soggy and in general just a mess.  And then there would not even be outdoor recess time to stand outside to compare stories of escapades. 
 
So this morning I observe the falling rain, trying not to think too hard about the flooding that is impacting communities near and far.  While reading this morning, I came across a reference to rain being a way the heavens connect with the earth.  This softened my attitude and my mind drifted to the cleansing of rain.
 
Rain removes dust from the beautiful leaves so when they gently cascade to the earth, they form a new colorful coat for mother earth.  Perhaps the rain assists the  earth in cleaning up before the cold of winter settles in.  A nice steady rain can seep down into the deep roots for future use.
 
Although there is nothing like a spring shower, these days of autumn rain dampens my mood.  It keeps me inside, so I turn more to contemplation or meditation to connect with the Divine.  Emotions surface in the midst of my thoughts, so perhaps the cleansing is being reflected both on the inside and the outside. 
 
I need to organize during this time.  Like the trees, I need to let go of some things too heavy to carry into the winter.  I perhaps need to let go to make clean spaces for new thoughts, projects and inspirations. 
 
Another heavy thought, the clocks are to be turned back.  When it is now dark at dinner time, I will feel compelled to find my pajamas.  Gone are the few extra hours of wandering outside or running just a few more errands.  I will prematurely prepare for bed and snuggle in front of the fireplace to day dream, journal, and read. 
 
Spring forward. 
Fall back.
The only thing constant in life is change ...
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment