Sunday, June 2, 2013

Changing Cycles




When you feel happy, really happy,
it somehow seems that you've always been happy
and that you'll always be happy.

The same is often true when you feel sad, or lonely,
or depressed, or broke, or sick, or scared.

Something, perhaps, to remember.

THE UNIVERSE



I have my groove back on.  I am in the flow.  I can do no wrong.  Luck is looking my way.  Hooray, hooray, how long will I remain this way.  Life is ever changing and very fickle.  Happiness here one day, then gone the next.

When the sun is not out and it is raining, I automatically know that I will not be doing yard work or mowing the yard.  I have a reset button that adjusts my intentions to indoor tasks.  The opposite is true as well.  If I have plans to do indoor chores and the sun comes out, I automatically adjust my schedule by going outdoors.  It is a matter of action and perception.

Perhaps we can apply the same to our cycles with happiness and sadness.  We could pre-determine what our actions will be if it is a dreary emotional day, such as:  read a favorite book, write letters, nap, or attempt something creative and artistic.  We can acknowledge our tempered mood and adjust our environment to be less chaotic and more nurturing.  The same for happiness.  We can have predetermined tasks for good mood days, such as:  yard work, shopping for flowers, meeting a friend for coffee, walking in a park, or napping outside in nature. 

Both kinds of emotional days will then have a reward, like silence or excitement.  These intentions will help regulate our moods.  For instance, if we really like jigsaw puzzles but never take the time to work them, purchase one the next time at the store.  Tuck it away in the closet, knowing it will be a spirit lifter the next time a sad day appears.  We can build in available distractions and the hardest part is remembering to do them.

We can be more accepting of  our lovely selves when we acknowledge our position in a down cycle.  We can remember we will not always be discouraged.  By reminding our selves repeatedly that this too shall pass will help our selves to be more patient until the up cycle returns once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment