Thursday, February 17, 2011

Upon Awakening


Upon awakening, I open my eyes and my first sight is of the ocean. I lie still watching the waves roll in, listening to their constant mesmerizing lullabies. In the distance I can see the whales making their way across the ocean. I notice the many shades of the water, recording them in memory as pictures will never reflect the depth of nature's beauty.

Clad in my nightgown and robe, I meander out to the lanai with coffee cup in hand. I sit and watch the surfers play, knowing that they must be filled with delight usually reserved for children. Riding waves, wiping out, swimming out again, the challenge and joy they must feel.

Down below a gardener is hand clipping the beautiful bushes filled with colorful flowers and trimming around the coconut trees. Rustic is watching the man with great intensity. I know him well enough to recognize his longing to be right down there, to work along side of this gardener, to interact with nature like he does hypnotically during the summer at home.

Home. I am not yet ready to turn my thoughts to home. Watching Yang, my Japanese Beta fish, swim in his bowl will somehow not be quite as exciting as watching the whales. This condo is like living in a tree house, so open with the entire side nothing but sliding glass doors. Our home will feel like a cave, I am afraid. I do not transition very well.

So I check my emails on my iPad and take some time on my lap top so that I can download more pictures to use on my blog. In real life at home, time has no meaning to me. Here in Paradise, I am even more suspended especially with the four hour time difference. It is amazing to me to wake up, check my daughter's email and learn that she has already put in four hours of work. Or even more strange, to think of calling her or the grandkids just to check in and then realize they would all be in bed, already sleeping for hours.

I have now digested my fresh fruit and yogurt and need to get dressed. The dress code here is very laid back, but not as much as in Key West. Everyone here wears shorts, light weight tops, and flip flops. Strapless long dresses are pretty popular as well in bright Hawaiian colors. Beach coverups galore are everywhere as many folks spend so much time in there suits.

We will be going back into Lahaina shortly to wander and forge for food. I will be watching for the "Two Men in Lahaina" (check out that post) to give that story closure. I plan to see both of them as synchronicity usually prevails! Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment