Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Banyan Tree in Lahaina, Maui



The Banyan Tree takes up an entire block hosting an Art Fair beneath a canopy of branches. This tree is one of my favorites. Although I have enjoyed many Banyan Trees in Key West, my favorite one is here on Maui in Lahaina.

The Art Fair is in support of the local artists. There are paintings, wood carvings, jewelry, and various other art forms. A gentleman is playing music on an adapted electric guitar. Quite honestly, it looks more like a rain stick than a guitar, but the sweetness of the melodies beckon me to his cd display. I ask his wife which cd would offer relaxing music. She replies, "Well, this is the one I use while giving Reiki." I laugh out loud and say, "Sold!" I proceed to tell her that I am a Reiki Master as well.

This seems to be another "Aloha" moment for me. I feel an instant connection with a stranger who shares similar visions and awareness of life. Once again I find myself discussing the importance of extending our energy to all of our surroundings and to those who are standing within our reach. Being on this island, one cannot escape the magnitude of beautiful nature and perhaps this in itself creates this greater sense of oneness.

The Banyan Tree is in the middle of the little park, but all of the branches and off shoots form an umbrella shading the entire area. The gnarly roots grow every where and although there are plenty of benches, I feel myself drawn to aimlessly wander off path under the lower branches. I realize that once again I am caught in the magic of this island. Under this massive tree I feel as though I were in a land of fairies or elves, as the rhythm of the Hawaiian music seems to be carrying me into an imaginary world. I am walking in spaces that other visitors do not seem to be a part of. I am separate and yet connected. The enchantment is so real to me, I wonder if I can even be seen by others. An invisible sprite is how I feel.

I take numerous pictures of the tree just as I had with the rock formations. I am eager to share this world. I feel a necessity to record it all moment by moment before my mind over rides my heart, convincingly changing my perception. I am blessed to be in this timeless space, relinquishing all attachments to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment