Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Maui On The Beach



Another day in paradise! I do not think Illinois winter knows that you can actually have two full days of sunshine in a row!

Four years ago when Rustic and I visited these lovely grounds, we were excited to see a whale maybe three different times. We. would say, "was that a whale?" then we would convince each other that we really saw one.

This morning as I sit and journal outside on the lanai, I am watching whale after whale break the surface spewing sprays of water up into the air. I can see the slick gray skin as it slaps back down against the water leaving me a trail to track the movement across the ocean. So many whales. To think when we were cruising Alaska we actually paid for an expedition at a little port to scout whales.

I take in this large ocean with the sun not yet fully high in the beautiful blue sky watching a handful os surfers riding the waves. Right now, here in this moment, life is so uncomplicated releasing the busy mind chatter of anxiety, stress, and decisions.

Briefly I think of the city with big buildings, honking cars, and pollution. I think of city dwellers disconnected from awe inspiring nature and the fast pace of life chosen to be lived. I am more than content to sit in my chair by the edge of this water and be suspended from the reality of my life.

The awareness of the warm sun on my back, the damp sand sticking to the bottoms of my feet, and the gentle breeze against my face, triggers a longing to just merge with it all. If I can remain very still, to let go of imagined time and boundaries, perhaps I can join all of this energy of nature. Maybe I can beome one with all that is. Ah, it is working...

No comments:

Post a Comment