Monday, February 21, 2011

Moloki'i Island Viewed From The Beach





We spent most of the morning on the beach looking at Moloki'i Island. It was relaxing to listen to the surf while watching the waves roll in. We were easily entertained by the beach walkers, the sunbathers and all of the surfers.

I wandered through the shallow water picking up rocks. I try to be reasonable and selective so Rustic's suitcase won't be over weight like last time! I no longer go into the ocean as on our last visit here, I had a little mishap.

I grew up on Lake Michigan an avid swimmer and certified life guard. I could honestly say that I have a strong attachment to water and have never feared it. So four years ago, I confidently waded into the ocean. I was only thigh deep high when a wave knocked me down and the under tow tossed me upside down. The current pulled me farther out, dragging the side of my body across the bottom of the ocean floor. When I finally righted myself and pushed up to the surface, the top of my bathing suit was dangling around my waist. Actually, that was the least of my worries as I knew I had been hurt. I had a bleeding abrasion on the side of my thigh the size of a large melon which gradually discolored and turned into the most hideous bruise. Behind the bruise was a hard knot the size of a baseball. Later, I was directed to physical therapy, and it took nine months for the knot to disappear. I find this reason enough to linger on the shore.

For whatever reason, there are fewer whale sightings these days, and they surface in small groups, rather than just one. They are closer in towards shore, spiraling higher into the air than before. The mist blows high from the head while the huge tail slaps the water making 'cannon ball' splashes!

Just a little way down the shore, I noticed several people gathered, clicking cameras with rapid fire. From where I was standing, I thought they were looking at a really huge turtle, as we previously had seen many near shore. This one seemed like a giant, twisting and turning, showing off his flippers. I walked a little closer. GEESH!!  It was not one large turtle, but two turtles mating! I was embarrassed for the poor turtles and quickly walked away having very little respect for the interlopers!

No comments:

Post a Comment