Friday, February 18, 2011

Lessons to be Learned

Posted by Picasa


Living in the moment, practicing awareness, and being open to possibility, lessons present themselves. I was comfortably seated in an outdoor eating area, taking in all of the beauty that surrounded me: ships out at sea, waves of the ocean, beautiful landscaping, and delicious food.

My heart was touched by watching a young woman on a paddle board with a very little girl. The girl was sitting on the board loudly giggling. The woman was kneeling closely behind the child, and as she paddled, her long black hair was flowing behind her.

Looking at a different section of the beach while I ate, I noticed a young man teaching four students the basics of surf boarding. I was intrigued by their agility while shifting positions on the board. There seemed to be similarity between yoga poses and positions being taught to the four. The teacher moved with elegance and grace in spite of having such upper body muscular strength.

Then I glanced slightly to the right. A short young man was standing in the shallow water. What was he doing? His back was towards me, but I felt my eyes magnetically lock upon him. He wore black bermudas that were getting soaked. As he turned, I noticed his tanned body under an unbuttoned light yellow linen shirt. He had light brown hair with steaks of blonde surely from the sun. He turned again, but this time I caught a glimpse of his black shoes that he was obviously rinsing sand out of in the salty water. But there was something else...

Ever since I started doing energy work, around 20 years ago, I developed this uncanny ability to sometimes detect physical weakness in others. For example, five people could be walking towards me on a busy crowded street, but my eyes will immediately gravitate to one person in particular. As I scan the body, I will usualy detect a physcial oddity. This is NOT some 'new age' psychic phenomenon, just an observation that my energy somehow connects with at random. I cannot do this deliberately and it seems to work best in the midst of strangers.

So I am totally focused on this young man, trying to get a sense of what it is I am supposed to see. He turns again and my heart constricts. As he bangs his shoes together, I notice that he has hooks instead of two hands. He is so young, what could have happened? When I ask myself this question, I catch myself, remembering the wasted energy in speculating about the Two Men in Lahaina. I immediately cover him with love, light and energy. I send him courage to live a full and inspiring life. I wish him opportunities to entertain love in his heart.

Feeling sad and no longer hungry, I push my plate away. The contrast between the balancing surfers and this handsome young man is harsh. I reluctantly lift my eyes to bless him once more, but he is gone from my sight. I scan the beach from one side to the other, but he has disappeared leaving my heart full of compassion.


The Pacific'O Restaurant
Ocean View
Lahaina, Maui

No comments:

Post a Comment