Friday, May 16, 2014

Nova, Thief or Act of Kindness?



"Things are seldom what they seem."
W.S. Gilbert


The six hour drive home from Nashville, TN has just been completed.  I have been absent with my lovely dog, Bella, for seven days.  I stand in front of my kitchen window marveling at how green and thick everything has become in my absence.  As I drink my water, I notice a man standing outside of my new neighbor's fence.  He is fairly tall, gray hair, a white golf shirt and khakis.  

I wonder what this man is doing just standing there.  Then I notice the neighbor's dog, Nova laying in the thick grass.  Nova is a very large Great Dane who seems to be kept outside a lot.  Prior to my leaving, I had heard him crying out in the yard all day.  I often wondered if he had shelter or enough water.  

As I am watching the stationary man, a woman appears by his side.  I cannot see her face as her hair is thick and curly whipped by the wind as the storm approaches.  She moves swiftly, reaching the lock on the inside of the gate and entering.  Nova jumps excitedly.  He attempts to place his paws on her shoulders, but she dodges him.  I have the sense that she is talking to him and her hands are in a frenzy attaching a leash to the dog's neck, and quickly exiting my neighbor's yard.  The man, woman, and Nova walk out of my sight.

It all happened so quickly, my mind has trouble catching up!  I don't know what to do.  These two people hardly looked like thieves, and I cannot imagine them unlawfully removing Nova.  I wonder about animal control, but neither adult was dressed like this and the man didn't assist the woman.  If they had been from animal control, I believe they would have accessed Nova less aggressively.

I watch into the night for Nova to return, but there isn't one light in the house and nothing stirs in the yard in the heavy rain.  I wonder if these people were friends of my new neighbor, coming to get Nova as the owner might have been delayed somewhere.

I wonder if I should have called the police?  I have only a story to tell and nothing more.  I didn't even think of snapping a picture with my phone.  Driving for so many hours has lulled my senses.  So feeling somewhat guilty, I do nothing, but spoil my own pet.  

Morning comes and as I let my Bella out into our yard, there is no sign of Nova in his yard.  The house blinds and shades are exactly as they were yesterday.   I have no way of knowing if he has been rescued in an act of kindness or kidnapped before my very eyes.  I am going to be heartsick if Nova was stolen while I stood idly by my window.  My writer's mind swirls with dramatic stories while my heart just longs to see  him returned to his home.



No comments:

Post a Comment