Saturday, May 10, 2014

Never Far From My Heart



"He who can be a good son
will be a good father."
Author Unknown


As a mother, I have brought three children into this world, three boys and the youngest a girl.  My second son, Ryan, was the most challenging to raise as he was super energetic and very independent.  With this challenge, he received a lot of my attention whether welcomed or not.  As I monitored him perhaps more closely than the others, I felt a definite unspoken bond between us.  

This son of mine is definitely not flawless, but he has driven himself to success.  He continues to have the sense of humor that laughs my socks off, but still reduce me to tears in his more tender moments.  I praise his wife of many years and admire his children who have thrived under life experiences.

From early memories (running in the back yard stark naked with cowboy boots on and his training pants on his head), to those more current (living in a house so huge I forget certain rooms), I have consistently loved this boy every minute of his life.

He has a strong sense of relationship, but not allowing just anyone in.  He is very stubborn which he has benefited from by holding out for the best.  He holds his tongue, but when he speaks, you had better listen as he will nail the subject clearly.  

What I like mostly about Ryan, is his continuing kinship with his brothers and sister.  He remains in sporadic touch with them, but they all instantly pick up where they last left off.  There is something about his sincerity that allows a person to feel deeply accepted in spite of what is being said.  This child has given me the opportunity to learn how to love beyond reason, to trust those deserving; and to reward unsuspecting kindred spirits.  He encouraged me when I struggled, laughed at me when I meditated, and loved me when I made mistakes.  

In my heart of hearts, in all of my knowings, this son of mine has been brother to his brothers and brother to his sister in other life times.  We have shared life times together in many roles that return to me in dreams and memory recall, and through unspoken words.   This child, this son, this soul is forever not far from my heart.

Happy Birthday, May 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment