Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Invitation to the Divine



"What does a running vacuum cleaner have to do with God?
Thee question seemed important, critically important.
This incident may sound small and silly, but it was a turning point.
God, I realized, is not partial to stained glass."

FIRST LIGHT
Sue Monk Kidd


As a child, I was mesmerized by the sacredness of the Roman Catholic Church.  Filled with innocence, I was deeply moved by the stained glass windows, burning candles, and the magnificent statues in the darkened church.  The liturgy said in Latin added to the ambiance and holding my private little missal made me feel deeply rooted in faith.

I have parted ways with 'organized' religion, but my faith has been liberated.  I find the presence of Divine Spirit in the dandelion pushing it self up between the crack of the cement sidewalk.  I catch a glimpse of Divine in the setting sun.  I feel God in the breeze as it gently moves the branches of the ancient wise trees.  I sense the simplicity of Spirit while watching a hawk glide through a cloudless sky.  I hear the voice of all things sacred speak to me through words of friends, books, and landscapes.  

I truly believe if we but open our hearts and ears, we will experience sacredness in all things around us  ... children, nature, songs, paintings, and conversations.  We are never truly alone and Spirit is always waiting for us to invite the Divine in, no matter where we find ourselves to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment