Monday, May 12, 2014

Look Both Ways





"Describe the face you show no one
and the face you show the world.
Without judging either, 
begin a conversation between the two."

SEVEN THOUSAND WAYS TO LISTEN
Mark Nepo


No matter how integrated we may become, I venture to say we will always have different faces.  Our perceptions change and we don't always visualize the same scene, so our reactions will be different.  As we evolve hardly anything remains the same.  Being an animated person, I change facial patterns often.  But perhaps I am taking the word 'face' too literally.

Indeed I strive to be authentic in my core.  I want to be the same compassionate person to any person I might meet.  I do know, however, the person I am or the face I show to anything I deem sacred is much less complicated.. My original childlike self, vulnerable and imaginative is most generally exposed to nature and spirit, but not necessarily to everyone.  

So what would a conversation be like between the two?  If you take the time to do this, it really is quite interesting.  One of mine is quite vulnerable and simple whereas the other is deeply complicated and protected.  One is uplifting while the other can be exhausting.   One is very trusting and loved, but the other is cautious and fearful.  That is what it is like for me.

One side is very spiritual whereas the other is designed for human life on earth.  The discovery is that I really like both sides of my self and no longer feel damaged or ashamed.  The outer face keeps me grounded in this world and the inner one is lofty.  At this point in  my life, I truly feel I am one person trying to live an authentic life, but looks both ways before crossing a street.



No comments:

Post a Comment