Monday, September 8, 2014

Network or Grid, Unseen




"But I'll tell you what hermits realize.
If you go off into a far, far forest
and get very, very quiet,
you'll come to understand
that you're connected with everything."

Alan Watts


What a wonderful experience to be at a party, seminar, or meeting and get introduced to someone new.  Through extended conversation, we come to realize we have a definite connection with this person and our lives previously crossed without our awareness.  

Although trivial, I was at the meat counter talking with the butcher, and something was said about the St Louis Cardinals, and the butcher replied he was a died in the wool Chicago Cub Fan.  I couldn't help my self, "Did you grow up in Chicago?"  As the conversation was extended, I learned that we were both not only from Chicago, but we had grown up in neighboring communities.  He knew exactly where I had lived in the city and I easily remembered his old neighborhood.  Nothing spectacular here, but a few moments of feeling connected.

I believe this to be true in many situations whether it is at a shopping mall, school function, or forest grove.  If we fully step into the moment, and be observant, we begin to sense a network or a grid that might very well be unseen, but definitely present.  This is true on a subway train or silent meditation.

It is easy for me to imagine spirits surrounding us, cheering us on and whispering in our ears.  In our daily lives, we are so narrowly focused, we are not aware of the audience observing from afar.  It now comes easy for me to say to these gathered souls, "I am not getting this!  Start over, please."  Then I wait for new insight or a clearer picture to develop.

When we choose to extend ourselves, it is then our awareness grows.  Pay attention with all of our senses and we will soon visualize what cannot be seen.  It is just as easy to imagine a safety grid around us as it is to create a state of loneliness.  Get connected, just try.








No comments:

Post a Comment