Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Physical Writing Routine




Physical preparation for writing is a ritual for me.  I generally light a candle, gather a few books or journals, and quiet my mind.  I know in my heart I do not need to be in a specific place to allow my words to flow.  I can be in differing locations for any length of time.  Sometimes, I write more profoundly in a short period of time and more lofty when there is more time allowed.
In the winter, as part of my ritual,  I like to be near a window or in front of a fireplace.  Spring time calls me outdoors to write, but the heat of summer turns me back indoors.  In the fall, my ritual calls me to go for a walk and breathe in everything around me.  I soon feel complete, surrounded by love and accepted through nature's compassion.  When I open my journal, my hand can hardly write fast enough for my pen to express all that I feel.
Physically, my hand writing is probably more emotional than when I use the computer.  I seem to reach deeper inside when my fingers can fly across the keys.  I keep a journal in my purse, car, desk, and by my bed.  If I do not record something immediately, I will forget the exact word and only emotion will remain. So I guess my ritual really is quite flexible depending upon where I am in the moment.
My writing ritual could be reduced to obtaining pen and paper, any where, any time, and with any emotion.  I am a writer, and although I enjoy props to begin my daily practice, the authentic ritual remains in my heart and soul.  It is called beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment