Monday, September 29, 2014

Moving From Overwhelm To Action



I have always told myself stories about writing.  Tales such as being able to write only in the morning, which is nonsense. Another falsehood is telling myself I write well only when I am depressed.
When I was in high school, my writing was very dark.  Writing was a safe outlet for me, and a coping skill. When I gained more positive control over my life, my writing became lighter in subject matter.  It reflected my ability to appreciate the goodness surrounding me.
Recently, my writing lost its depth.  I had been writing rather intensely, but then it started taking on a different nature.  With observation, I realized what had changed.  I had adopted my dog, Bella, from the animal control shelter.  My interaction with her, taking walks, having chats, and creating a bond has definitely brightened my mood.  I had not realized until Bella’s arrival, how lonely I have been. Loneliness not only alters the mood of my writing, but also causes me to question my ability to write.
Perhaps I am just more expressive when I feel challenged or bothered by an issue or two.  I seem to have more words for sadness than I do joyfulness.  Writing serves a variety of purposes, spanning a wide birth of emotions.   A pause in our writing may be making room for a new style or form of writing.  Maybe an entirely new project is waiting to come forth.
It is important to keep writing no matter what.  Continued use primes the pump for future awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment