Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I'm Third Award



"I'm Third" Award stands for:
God first, others second,
I'm third."

The "I'm Third" Award was created after a pilot who's plane was malfunctioning at an air show, rather than ejecting  and saving his own life,  he crashed it away from the crowd and surrounding homes in self-sacrifice.

My niece, Alexandra (Alex) just received the "I'm Third" award after a month's stay at her favorite camp.  She is an athlete, a scholar, but most importantly, a very special soul.  She is reserved,  and conservative, but never hesitates to reach out to assist another.

Positive attention is not always highlighted in the news, especially about teens.  Almost anywhere, we can find articles about teen drugs, destruction and suicide.  How unfortunate the media does not emphasize or even address the majority of teens doing wonderful things.   It could well be that these very teens promoting honor and respect for all, decline any opportunity for recognition.  Their hearts are reaching out with simple kindness, taking their actions as what could be the norm, and not see any need for acknowledgement.  

Those who silently help others are rewarded, not necessarily with money or promotion, but by intangible benefits that can never be taken away.  The "I'm Third" Award is an honor my niece can continue to carry with  her throughout her life ... not growing too old nor losing a particular skill.  This validation can encourage her to enhance her appreciation for others without any sense of competitiveness or judgement.  I could not be any more proud of her, and hope I can be more like her.




No comments:

Post a Comment