Friday, June 27, 2014

Removing the Details



"As you enter your day,
try not to reach for life.
Try not to leave or arrive.
Try to let life enter you."
 
Mark Nepo
THE BOOK OF AWAKENING
 
 
Outlines, lists, and details often structure my day.  I constantly jot down notations, quotes, and reminders.  From the onset, I am running through a checklist in my head.  Whether I am routed to the grocery store, library or gathering, there are always footnotes for quick study.
 
My inner voice reminds me to be open, to truly listen, and to gather in all folds of the fabric of life unfolding before me.  It is amazing how much well intended reminders simply distract and clutter. 
 
THE BOOK OF AWAKENING suggests we simply embrace the day.  With child like anticipation, maintain an awareness of what is next popping up in the day.  Notice every nuance as a gift being presented to highlight a moment in this time and place. 
 
So for today, I have a loosely made mental list of where I need to go, but I have removed all of the details.  As I pass through my errands, I will hold open my eyes to see what I would normally miss.  I will open my ears to hear what is truly being said.  I will linger over things I touch and pay attention to the fragrances passing through the air. 
 
I feel excitement build. I am hoping to appreciate all things appearing insignificant and small. Time management will be disregarded as I slowly pass through each moment of this beautiful forthcoming day!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment