Friday, June 3, 2011

The Spiral Road Within ...


Wisteria in Nashville, Tennessee


When I focus on the rake of experiences and how its fingers dug into me and the many feet that have walked over me, there is no end to the life of my pain.  But when I focus on the soil of heart and how it has been turned over, there is no end to the mix of feelings that defy my want to name them. 

Tragedy stays alive by feeling what's been done to us while peace comes alive by living with the result.  The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo


As a child, I promised my self that I would never live in the atmosphere of chaos; but as an adult, I learned that all of life is chaos.  So I set out to learn how to live a peaceful life in the midst of chaos.

Through discovery, I found solitude in certain locations such as in nature or private chapels. Being in the presence of enlightened  individuals nurtured my personal growth as did reading in cloistered space.  There were many things 'out there' waiting to stimulate my soul.

In time, however, I came to realize that true peace resides within my inner being.  One must travel inwards to discover what stands in the way of peace and how those barriers can be removed.  The well trodden path spiraling within teaches respect, love, and connectedness to all things.  To me, this is peace.

So when the chaos in life threatens to overwhelm me, I travel inside through creative visualization, prayer or meditation.   Any of these practices allow me to  focus on the blessings in my life and peace spreads through my soul.  There will always be chaos in life, but I will choose to focus on that which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment