Thursday, June 9, 2011

In the Company of Angels

 



Several years ago, I was driving home from work after a very discouraging day. 
As I settled into my routine drive home, very ugly clouds began taking form. When I reached the interstate, I realized I was driving straight into a storm. I felt so discouraged and alone that I didn't really consider the consequences when I decided to race the storm home. 

Blinded by pouring rain, I quickly pulled into my garage. I entered the house feeling grateful for having beat the storm home.  I stripped off my clothes and slipped into a robe. I stretched out on my bed semi-aware of the increasing strength of the wind blowing against my home. I remember thinking, "If I get blown away with this storm, I really don't care," but when the lights flickered and the electricity went off, I reconsidered.

Jumping up to look out the window, I threw on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. The trees in the front yard were blown sideways and it was raining so hard I could barely see. The pressure in my home seemed to increase and it felt as though the windows would shatter at any moment. Then I heard the tornado siren!

I grabbed my shoes, a pillow, and a quilt, and sprinted to the hallway which had always been the family's designated 'safe place'. The hallway did not have any windows and without electricity it was pitch dark. I positioned myself on my back down on the floor. I tucked the pillow behind my head and covered my body with my quilt.

My worst fear was being actualized...facing death alone and having no chance to say good-bye to my children. While the house vibrated, I could hear the mimicked sound of a mighty roaring train announcing that a tornado indeed was close by. Sobs of fear racked my body, and I pinched my eyes closed preparing for the worst.  I had never felt so vulnerable in the path of destruction.

In the midst of the darkness, simultaneously, these following things happened. In spite of the electricity being off, the stereo in the living room mysteriously began playing my favorite CD entitled IN THE COMPANY OF ANGELS by Robin Miller. Startled, my eyes flew open in time to see the brilliant faces of cherubs hovering on the ceiling. In an unspoken language, a message was delivered. "You are never alone." Within an instant, the music stopped and the hallway returned to darkness.

I have not been able to satisfactorily explain this experience to myself nor to others, but I continue to be thankful for my safety.  Ever since the passing of the tornado, physically being alone no longer bothers me.  I truly believe that I am always IN THE COMPANY OF ANGELS.

No comments:

Post a Comment