Thursday, October 1, 2015

Degrees of Rhythm





"God has given us music so that above all, it can lead us upwards.  
Music unites all qualities:  it can exalt us, divert us, cheer us up, or 
break the hardest of hearts with the softest of its melancholy tones." 

Friedrich Nietzsche
A PHILOSOPHICAL BIOGRAPHY



Musical notes become a language awakening our body, mind, and soul.  It has a profound impact whether it is uplifting us spiritually, energizing us physically, or calming us emotionally.  Music can be inspiring as the mind  opens to lofty thinking or it can be invigorating as we move our bodies to varying degrees of rhythm.  Singing to a frightened child can be comforting just as harmonizing can bring  great joy when joined by others.

A stack of old Cd's I once used in my counseling office surfaced.  As I glanced at the plastic holders, I remembered them with great fondness.  While I centered into my daily reading, this old music played in the background.  Time passed before I  realized a heaviness around me.  I felt sad and weighted down by unidentifiable emotions.  After the fact, I understood this music had been in the background while I listened to the challenges of others for numerous years.

We are not always aware of our associations with music.  When our mood suddenly shifts and we observe the change, we realize the music is what triggered our thoughts. The song may be associated with a first kiss or college parties or weddings or funerals. Embrace the element of sound whether in the rhapsody of nature, the symphony of friendship,  or frenzy of sexual desire.




No comments:

Post a Comment