Monday, September 9, 2013

Gathering Ingredients



 


"I was always interested in figuring things out.  I'd do experiments, like combining things I found
around the house to see what would happen if I put them together."   Alan Alda



When I was learning to cook, I wanted to know how to make meatloaf.  There are thousands of recipes, and even friend's recipes did not taste the same when I followed the directions perfectly.  Everyone makes meatloaf just a little bit differently, and it doesn't always taste the same twice.  I will read various recipes seeking a differing ingredient, but always end up putting the recipes away, and making my own concoction.

It seems this is a pattern in my life showing up in other places than the kitchen.  I will research a subject from a variety of angles, close the books, and take to heart out what really resonates with me.  In this way, I keep adding new ingredients, but my overall thoughts still reflect me and not some one else.

I am so aware of this pattern of blending random things together like preparing meatloaf, the women supporting me in my quest, know when I report, "Well, I have been making meatloaf."  Sincerely, I do believe this is an activity we all can take part in.  While expanding our thoughts with random information, we don't have to follow explicit instructions.  We can gather in the sense of the projected idea, and see how it can apply to what we already believe. 

My daily speculations are like meatloaf in that they are always a combination of diverse thoughts.  Some days I might be fancy and put ketchup on top of my words to dress them up.  When addressing a more conservative audience, I may leave the onions out.  Crackers or breadcrumbs?  Milk or tomato sauce?  The combinations are endless.

This pattern extends to my world view as well.  I believe that if we gather all of the diverse creatures, allowing space for personal preference, honor, and respect, there can be a most intriguing combination .  We all may have ideas to contribute, and it may take several attempts, but I do believe the perfect recipe for world wide loving kindness exists in our creative minds.









No comments:

Post a Comment