Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sacred Mystery






A friend who is a Unitarian minister told me about an interfaith gathering that she attended. It opened with an inquiry: What is our agreed-upon language for referring to the divine? Shall we call it God? "No way" responded a feminist Wiccan. "What about Goddess?" A Baptist minister laughed and said, "Spirit?" Upon which an atheist replied, "Nope." Discussion went on for a while. Finally, a Native American suggested "the great mystery" and they all agreed. Each knew that whatever his or her personal understanding, the sacred was in essence a mystery.

Tara Brach
Clinical Psychologist, Author, Teacher of Buddhist Mindfulness



Once someone asked me if I were a Christian.  My response was, "What is your definition of the word Christian?"  I find the same to be true today when asked about my spiritual belief system.  The word "God" conjures up so many stereotypical images, I hesitate to limit myself with this one word.   What really is the sacred source ... God, Goddess, Divine Spirit, Universe,  Oneness, Nothingness, Supreme Love etc ... 

All words meaning one thing to one and something entirely different to another.  And words do not seem to capture the limitless sacred force which I hold in reverence.  I do not believe that "God" is a he or she, tree or rock.  I believe that "God" is in all things created.

I remember being told as a child that Native Americans did not believe in one God, but worshipped many Gods which of course was a 'bad' thing.  There was only one God in my child's mind.  It would be years before I discovered that Native Americans saw God in all things and therefore revered all things.  My child's mind has expanded with the years and now joyfully embraces the concept of God being in all things and that all things can be revered.

It does not matter to me what a person labels the Source of all things, but it does matter to me whether or not a person finds this same sacredness within his or her human being.  This sacred space might be called heart or soul or energy vortex ... again, nothing but words.  The discovery of the sacred within all of us connects us with the mystery of life. 

A Vision Quest or Spiritual Path or Journey ... whatever label we choose, again is not important.  What is important is that we begin to travel closer to the Sacred Source.  We become aware of the purpose of our lives, to live reflecting the light of Divine Spirit and to use the gifts and talents we uniquely contain.  It is imperative for each of us to discover the sacred ... in essence a mystery.

1 comment: