Thursday, April 4, 2013

Creating a Mantra








Come into my heart, O Lord.
I love you and I need you.

Harry Dudley Clarke
(1888 to 1957)
Gospel Hymn



We all have a song in our heart whether we sing it or not.  Sometimes the melody quietly plays in the background or the lyrics escape through our lips.  At times we surprise ourselves by singing while alone on a walk or driving in the car.  There are always a particular string of words, however, which offer praise, beckon a presence, or calm anxiety. 

Mantras can be found in meditations, yoga practices, prayers, lyrics, or straight from the heart.  When we repeat a mantra, it may seem mechanical and ineffective, but the more we use it the stronger it becomes.  In fact, in many instances, a personal mantra can feel like a direct connection with our higher self, the Universe, Divine Spirit or deeper consciousness.  If we feel afraid, self-conscious, depressed or threatened, using a mantra is like speed dialing to whomever we revere.  We can feel an immediate connection.

We all need to choose a mantra for our selves as the effects of using a mantra can be very powerful, .  Whether it is an affirmation, prayer, or Sanskrit phrase, choose something that is short and easy to remember.  Select something with personal meaning, a group of words resonating within you.  Then develop the habit of using the mantra throughout the day ... randomly or deliberately.


To thine own self be true.
Om, Shanti, Shanti, Om
Give me the courage.
Come into my heart.
My spirit is calm and patient.
Angels be near me.
I love my self and I am safe.
Help me to step through this illusion of fear.
Open my heart oh God.
I am lovable and powerful.
My body is cleansed, healed and strong.
Help me find the way.
I am filled with thanks and gratitude.
Speak to me Great Spirit.
Joy flows through me.
I lovingly release all that does not serve me.
Thank you for letting me be me.
Let me be of service today.
Here I am.


With a little exploration, we will come across a phrase suiting our needs perfectly.  Simply pay attention, be on the look out, and it will appear.  Use the mantra at least three times a day.  The more deliberately we use our mantras, the stronger our connection grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment