Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Can See Myself ... Georgia O'Keeffe




 

I know now that most people are so closely concerned with themselves that they are not aware of their own individuality.

I can see myself, and it has helped me to say what I want to say
in paint.  ~ Georgia O'Keeffe


There are many ways to project our voices ... through creative expression.  Whether we use paint, pen, or song, the need for self-expression is vital.  We often do not realize what we are thinking or believing until we express it for examination.  We are often surprised as the truth slips out or the out grown evaluations spew. 

How can we seriously expect others to know us if we do not know our selves?  If we hide behind masks, those around us react to what they see and not what is hidden inside.  It is similar to going to the doctor complaining about a pain in the foot when it is really the right shoulder we cannot move. 

Some years ago, in an attempt to know me better, a man asked me what I most liked to do.  Without hesitating I blurted out, "I love to swim!"  Then waves of horror washed over me ... my body in a bathing suit at my age, shaving more than my legs, being exposed to cancerous sun rays that would burn me to a crisp!  This shared insight was so far off course I started to laugh hysterically.  I quickly supplied a different answer, "I love water ... everything about it!" 

Truth be known, I love the sound of water whether it is a gentle rain drop or a crashing wave.  Water soothes and calms me, lulling me into a state of peace.  Whether it is a bubble bath or a sprinkler, my body awakens to the caress of water.  It is cleansing and refreshing.  It is everything opposite of being stuffed into a bathing suit!

Perhaps if we made a list of things we truly enjoyed and then went back over the list adding all of the ways we supported our desires, we would become more aware of how well we knew our selves.  The list would also be a good indicator of how well we met our creative or personal wants and needs and what means we used to express our individuality. 

Can we clearly see our selves?   Do we present our selves accurately?  Are we saying what we need to say? hmmm ....
















No comments:

Post a Comment