Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Planting Seeds for Our Children





I will not play tug o' war. 
I'd rather play hug o' war. 
Where everyone hugs instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
and everyone grins,
and everyone cuddles,
and everyone wins.

Shel Silverstein
(1930 ~ 1999)


Shel Silverstein was one of my most favorite authors of children's books.  I purchased all of his books for my children and then for my grandchildren.  My favorite is THE GIVING TREE, but I also enjoyed A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC and FALLING UP, as well as WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS. 

Shel Silverstein had the ability to acknowledge challenges in life, while leading the reader through the fear, and finding appreciation for the gifts scattered along the way.  He reflected how I felt about life, but creatively expressed it in a way that captivated a child's attention ... and apparently mine as well.

Too often we hide our fears about money, health, and death from our children leaving them ill-prepared for challenges that life will bring.  They won't see these challenges as a normal aspect of life, making their struggle more complex.  Children need to see how adults face challenges, overcome barriers, and embrace what cannot be changed.  Our children have no place in the midst of any of our dramas, but an awareness of issues help them to understand the tension adults think they are hiding.

As adults, we must plant seeds for our children.  Over the years we nurture these seeds and help them to grow.  When the children evolve into an adult, they can weed their own garden and fertilize the soil to strengthen roots. These adult children will have choice to root out what does not support them, and plant fresh seeds of their own. 

One of my favorite sayings is:  You never stand as tall as when you kneel to help a child.  Be clearly present in the life of a child and you will never be sorry you did!








No comments:

Post a Comment