Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"It is in the giving that we receive"





I am a promise.
I am a possibility.
I am a great big bundle of potentiality.

Children's Song


Looking for a little spiritual support, I pulled out COMPANIONS OF THE HEART by one of my very favorite authors, Alan Cohen.  As I usually do, I opened the book up to a random page.  The quotation was in reference to overflowing like water falls.  In my less than uplifting mood, this concept of having so much spirit within us we can pool over onto others, just caused me to feel even more empty.

I then randomly turned to a different section entirely.  There was a quote from the BEATLES about what goes around comes around.  This section didn't seem to speak to me at all, so I moved on.

Finding myself in the Letting Go chapter, there was a quote from St Francis:  "It is in the giving that we receive."  These words immediately brought my daughter to mind.  Not so long ago, she willingly came to my side, offering generous emotional, physical, financial and spiritual support.  She gave without anticipation or expectation of any personal return.  How thankful and grateful I am to have such unconditional love and support in my life.

My thoughts became happy in acknowledging that indeed she is being reimbursed handsomely for her efforts.  This unexpected turn of events arrives in a very timely manner as her home has just sold and she looks for another.  In her effortlessly giving, she is now effortlessly receiving!

Now smiling and feeling totally uplifted for the first time today, I turn to the next page and an envelope falls out.  I recognize the envelope as being mine, but what in the world is in it?  I peek inside finding ten twenty dollar bills!  My laughter cannot be curtailed!  I am 'overflowing';  what has "gone around" now comes back around;  and in giving we receive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment