Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Captive by the Sun



What breadth, what beauty
 and power of human nature and development
there must be in a woman to get over
all the palisades, all the fences
within which she is held captive.

Alexander Herzen


Thank goodness, I have never experienced being held captive in a hostile experience, but I have been held captive in conversations I did not want to have, in situations I did not want to participate in, and by depression.  Now, however, I am being held captive by the sun!

It has been hovering in the hundreds for days now.  The grass is brown and feels like toothpicks against bare feet.  The flowers are gasping and the flowering bushes are drooping.  When outside, it feels oppressive as hot air presses against mouths and noses to say nothing of the lungs. 

It matters not how early I rise nor how late I am awake, it is still too hot for my walk.  Even sitting out on the deck feels entirely too invasive by the air itself even though there is little to no movement. 

I am being held captive in my home by the sun!  I cannot get out to connect with nature, to feel its energy and to receive its
wisdom falling from the leaves on the trees.  I want to feel the sun shine upon my face with the slightest whisper of breeze.  I long for the song of the birds and the rustling of small animals up in the trees.

I resent these limitations ... if you really must know! 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment