Monday, August 16, 2021

Priceless Smiles




"Let your smile change the world,
but don't let the world change your smile."
Connor Franta

In spite of being a city dweller, a smile was routinely positioned on my face. Cautions like "stranger danger" did not exist, and so I readily exchanged smiles with those I happened to pass on a busy street.  People readily returned a smile back to me, and it tended to lift my feelings.

When a child is having a melt down, I love to smile at the mom, silently expressing empathy.  When the line seems endless and moving in slow motion, a smile can help diffuse building stress.  A smile can be a gift offered to an elder navigating the streets on his or her own.  

The gift of a smile costs nothing. It opens silent communication, portraying a kinder world.  It is a recognition to imply, "I see you."    The return smile brightens my day and removes some of the isolation felt in a solitary life. It is part of a language without using words, but instantly igniting connection.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment