Monday, March 27, 2017

Hoarding Books




"To know a man's library is,
in some measure,
to know a man's mind."
Geraldine Brooks

When visiting a friend's house, it is an honor to be allowed to browse through his or her books.  The collections reflect a lot about personal interest.  The expansive topics demonstrate how broad the mind has traveled.   It is amusing to identify similar tastes and surprising to discover differences.

One of my dearest friends, Sharron, shared how she had downsized her book shelves.  She generously gifted certain books to particular friends, distributed diverse books to the local library and gave numerous others to the used book store.  I admired her generosity, but shuddered at the thought of releasing any of my own.

My books are close friends, pockets of escape, and endless resources.  Each book has been underlined, highlighted, and notes written in the margins.  I randomly refer to my books for moral support, inspiration, and companionship.  Real or imaginary, characters have been invited into my home and willingly they came.  I can't imagine parting with a single one.

No comments:

Post a Comment