Friday, March 4, 2016

A Woman, Divine




"Only a Woman, divine, 
could know all that a woman can suffer."
Willa Cather

Captivated by the stained glass window, my heart filled with joy.  The sun would shine through the many hues and I would be mesmerized.  I deliberately avoided eye contact with the stern grandpa looking man in the midst of the stained glass with penetrating ice blue eyes.  I learned he expected perfection with absolute obedience to his ten rules.  At my young age, I already knew I was somehow imperfect and would never find myself warmly invited into this man's presence.

There was another stained glass window on the side of the room centered with a younger man who had kind blue eyes and gentle hands.   His lap was filled with children and his eyes welcomed everyone.  This man simply spoke of love.  I trusted him and silently spoke to him and listened to his responses.

There was also a woman with an infant in another piece of stained glass art. She was not the center of attention and it would not be until many years later that I would perceive her compassionate heart.  She fueled a fire within me to experience her concept of the love between mother and child.  Her broad spectrum of strengths were admirable even though she seemed to silently move through her life.  Her thrust was not of obeying.  Her diligence focused on compassion, acceptance, and deeply embracing what was not always seen.  I still want to be like her.


No comments:

Post a Comment