Friday, March 11, 2016

Take Flight



"This life is full of trials and tribulations,
so you have to capture humor whenever 
and wherever you can find it."
Steven Callahan
ADRIFT: SEVENTY-SIX DAYS LOST AT SEA



My intentions for yard work is once again delayed. Another day of weather predictions not met.  There is a lack of sunshine and the temperatures are not rising.   Feeling adrift, I step into the backyard feeling cold mud beneath my feet. I am caught somewhere in between being stuck and taking flight.

My coffee cup warms my hands and my eyes gaze into the yard.  A Blue Jay is screaming at me with a message I simply don't understand.  Shifting my eyes elsewhere, I see three Cardinals  in a heavy game of chase.  Sudden action jerks my head to the fence line where my eyes capture the tiniest squirrels I have ever seen.  

Coming back inside, I find myself laughing.  Nature has just given me three examples of how to use my day: I can be crabby and judge everything; I can engage others in play; or I can remain stuck in an  unproductive pattern of racing back and forth.  In the end, I decide to be a redbird by going to the market and engaging fellow shoppers about which flowers to plant this year.  Through our conversations of shared experiences, our hearts take flight.









No comments:

Post a Comment