Friday, December 12, 2014

Hugs or Instant Messages






"The most important thing in all human relationships is conversation, but people don't talk anymore, they don't sit down to talk and listen.  If we want to change the world, we have to go back to a time when warriors would gather around a fire and tell stories."  Paulo Coelho


There have been numerous conversations about the impact of technology on our abilities to expressively communicate.  My thoughts have been along the lines of the connectedness computers, and super speed telephones create amongst people.  I have been thinking maybe some people are more apt to stay in touch if they can quickly send a text rather than securing time for a conversation.  Also, I have been imagining school kids who now have the ability to walk into an empty home with the safety of a parent on the line.  Technology, I have been thinking, has maybe increased communication.

This morning I was seeking a picture to reflect communication.  I looked under gatherings, and communication.  I found endless photos of machines being used by humans, stripped of the element of emotion.   These tools indeed make life easier, but at what cost?

I communicate every day through texts and on line exchanges, preferring not to call and interrupt a person's busy day.  If they are busy, they can respond when they have time.  This is balanced, however, by participating in small groups where I can tell my story, and listen to the journeys of other dear friends.

Relationships are established through personal communication, one on one sharing, listening and reporting.  Smart phones and other devices are additional tools to maintain formed relationships.  Even when we have a strong sense of another person, just reading a statement can easily be misinterpreted.  There is more depth when we can hear the timber of a voice, sense the aspect of emotion, and see the telling facial expressions.  Hopefully, an instant message will never replace the nurturing experience of an embrace.

 








1 comment:

  1. I hope so, too! The lure of smart phones is strong and watching us all use them more and more is often disconcerting. I never want to replace that embrace!

    ReplyDelete