Thursday, January 2, 2014

Honoring an Arrival






"I love the symbolism of lighting a candle.  It has always been significant to me, but I had not always though about how it honors an arrival.  I light candles when guests are coming over.  I light a candle in my office for clients.  I light a candle to be reminded that I am never alone.  In each of these times, there is an arrival to be honored.  It's as if the flame holds the space with hope as we wait with anticipation for the arrival of whatever or whoever is to come."

Laura Melrose Ramey
New Song Counseling
newsongcounseling.blogspot.com


Licensed Marital and Family Therapist, Laura Melrose Ramey made an entry on her blog earlier in December that really resonated with me.  The entry IN HOPEFUL ANTICIPATION made mention of the meaning of the word Advent which is arrival.  She then connected the symbolism of lighting a candle with anticipation. 

As obsessive as I am with lighting candles, I had never thought about the element of anticipation.  Holding this new awareness, I realized it is true.  Each time I ignite the flame of a candle there is something on my mind.  It may range from anything extremely insignificant to an immediate excessive burden. 

Therapist Laura Melrose Ramey offered some questions to ponder when we choose to light a candle:

Who or what are you waiting for?
How do you spend your time "waiting"?
Who or what comforts you in your wait?
What do you need as you wait?
Imagine the arrival of who/what you are waiting for ... lean into this hope.

As we adjust to a more normal schedule with the holidays behind us, we may have an even greater appreciation for regularly lighting a candle.  As the flame ignites and begins its dance, we can become aware of what arrival we are waiting to honor in any shape or form.


No comments:

Post a Comment