Friday, October 18, 2013

Discarding Armor and Being a Warrior

 




"Shopping and moving don't help, but I've discovered a few things that do:  writing, reading, water, walks, forgiving myself, every other minute, practicing easy yoga, taking deep breaths, and petting my dogs."

Glennon Doyle Melton
CARRY ON, WARRIOR

Every once in a while, a book will cross our path speaking directly to our soul.  As the reader, we kind of look around to see if anyone is watching us, as this book really might be a joke.  We wonder who has been picking through our thoughts and recording them with a positive spin, offering deliverance and acceptance in spite of lack of forgiveness for our very soul.

Glennon Doyle Melton has written such a book, entitled:  CARRY ON, WARRIOR.   She has been referenced by Brene` Brown, an excellent source on perfectionism and Vanessa Diffenbaugh, author of THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS.  Respecting both Brown and Diffenbaugh, this book by Melton seemed to snag my attention.  Then a young woman I know and deeply love mentioned this writing as well.  Knowing these are not coincidences I ordered the book.

This non-fiction piece instantly engages the reader.  The author allows us to gently face our emptiness and to stop trying to fill it with behaviors that only harm us.  She allows her words to comfort and encourage in spite of what has been or not been or never will be.  Her lesson is about being just as you are ... scars and all. 

It seems that by lowering our guard, stopping our pretending, and being genuinely broken, we are much more likely to relate with one and other.  "...it is not my job to fill myself," says Melton.  "It's just my job to notice my emptiness and find graceful ways to live as a broken, unfilled human - and maybe to help myself and others feel a teeny bit better."  She goes on to say,   "My experience has been that even with God, life is hard.  It's hard just because it's hard being holey." (As in having a lot of empty spaces or holes.)

Glennon Doyle Melton shares her imperfect story and as a result, she gives the reader hope.  Her insights are refreshing and encouraging.  This book comes to me at a time in my life when I feel so messy.  Accepting that life is messy,  triggers some element of normalcy.  I am reminded that I am a warrior and I have always been a warrior.  It is time however to disrobe, to discard the armor and to allow myself vulnerability.  I am a spiritual warrior, comfortable in my own skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment