Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Good to Go

 
 
 

 
Old friends pass away, new friends appear.  It is just like the days.  An old day passes, a new day arrives.  The important thing is to make it meaningful:  a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.

Dalai Lama



The vacation days here in Key West have passed way too swiftly. The days remaining are too few, but precious.  We will try to absorb as much beauty and warmth as we can (up to 5 inches of snow await us at home). 
 
 
We will be meeting our friends today at the Key West Art Show.  We have attended this before and find it to be very good.  We will wander through the exhibits talking to various artists and hopefully make a few purchases.  Then we will have lunch with our friends.
 
 
Last night we ate at a neighborhood authentic Cuban restaurant .  The place was packed, the food delicious, and the prices very reasonable. Typical of our evening, we slowly walked back through Old Towne to the rental house accompanied by our friends.  We sat on the back porch enjoying these lovely souls, knowing the days were on count down.  This couple is a blessing in that we all like each other ... not just the wives or a business connection.  We all bring something different to our relationship so conversations are random, but heartfelt.
 
 
Little by little, I feel my self beginning to withdraw from this place I love.   I do believe the gifts I have received here would not have been so quickly apparent at home.  When we step out of our comfort zone, leave normal surroundings, and have fewer distractions or responsibilities, it is easier to maintain awareness of what we need to mend.  I have had time to notice different parts of my self needing repair and with the help of this gorgeous weather and diversity of people, I am in a good place.
 
 
In truth, I had hoped to be able to return home ready to leap tall buildings and spiritually fly.  So foolish these traps we set for our selves.  I am simply me.  If I am not me, who will be?  I must continue to be the best me possible.  This challenge may have been a life time project, but I am no longer "under construction".  There is enough time left, I hope, for me to put on the final touches and then I'll be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment