Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Nooks and Crannies ... Key West Tour of Homes.




Never make your home in a place.  Make a home for yourself inside your own head.  You'll find what you need to furnish it - memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things.  That way it will go with you whenever you journey.    Tad Williams


"Be comfortable in your own skin" is a directive I have heard for several years. My love for people and natural curiosity with human behavior, has always allowed me to be comfortable with others, but not necessarily with myself.  I learned to gather things in my home reflecting my interests and passions.  Over the years, however, the treasures I store in my heart sustain me.

The Old Island Restoration Foundation promotes the preservation and restoration of historically significant buildings.  With our friends we took advantage of the Foundation's 50 year celebration of Key West House Tours.  We visited six different homes, each reflecting a different life style, history, and care. 

Although all of the homes were interesting in one aspect or another, there was one that lingers in my mind.  It belonged to an artist who resided half of the year in Key West and the other half in New York.  The property is really divided into two small structures attached by a wide walk way with a lovely garden in the rear. 

The living quarters are on one side offering two modest bedrooms and an amazingly unique kitchen.  In the covered walkway,  the roof joins the two structures.   In this area, there was a wonderful hiding place filled with cushions and partially enclosed like a built in window seat providing a wonderful reading or dreaming nook.  Snuggled into this space, one can glance out into the lovely backyard and enjoy the breeze passing through the middle of these structures. 

The other structure was my favorite.  The entire back wall had windows that faced the backyard's secret garden.  There was a queen size bed facing the window for endless napping or visualizing.  It was one big room with the windows and bed on one end, and an artist's studio on the other.  There were numerous cubby holes in the wall to hold supplies or treasures and a work table with a good window.   Glance up to the ceiling and there is a tiny walkway leading to a loft offering a rocking chair in a small  private cranny facing the top of the large triangular windows from below.

This second structure has been implanted in my memory.  It will be a mental hide-a-way for me to escape ... to dream, ... to contemplate ...  and to create.  It is a mental space where I can be comfortable in my own skin without any material distractions or attachments. 

Touring six  historical homes was  very interesting.   They were all very individualistic and creative.   Visiting the artist's small two structure home with nooks and crannies will remain with me indefinitely.  It  has been yet another gift from Key West. 


No comments:

Post a Comment