Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Carefully Drawn Boundaries





Indifference and neglect
often do much more damage
than outright dislike.

J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix




It never seizes to amaze me how much I learn and then how much I forget.  I am not talking about letting go of what I no longer need.  I am talking about experiencing something pivotal and then allowing it to fall through a rabbit's hole like Alice in Wonderland. 

Then I have to re-experience the lesson all over again.  I hear myself say, "Oh, I remember this!"  The second time, the lesson seems to have increased in challenge, making it just a little more difficult to accomplish and then maintain.

Just lately, I have been exceptionally hard on myself.  In my own eyes I have been falling short of self-imposed expectations, and  I have tried all the harder to come up with my desired result. 

I slowly became aware that I was no longer aligned.  I was making allowances where there should have been none.   I was over compensating and out of balance. 

I realize it is better to give than to receive, but our boundaries must be carefully drawn to prevent others from taking advantage.  Compassion for others is a necessary component in life, but it does not require us to be subjected to disrespect.  If we do not speak up for ourselves, then who will?


No comments:

Post a Comment