Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Food for Thought ...





We cannot hold a torch
to light another's path
without brightening
our own.

Mohammed


The grocery store was quite empty this morning as I went much earlier than usual.  I always go to the same store so I am familiar with some of the folks working there.

The young man unloading my shopping cart takes his job seriously and always has a great smile.  He seems to be joyful while helping others in any manner he can.

The gentleman checking out my groceries casually asks if I had a good Thanksgiving.  "Oh yes," I reply.  "Friends, great food, and beautiful weather all made for a wonderful day."  He tells me that he is married, has 3 adult children, and multiple grandchildren.  "Where does the time go?" he asks.  I assume that he is retired, working another job to generate more income or to stay busy. 

In the few minutes that follow, the three of us (the checker, the bagger, and myself) each share comments regarding time passing so quickly.  The checker says the bible tells us that both time and our life on earth is but a vapor.  The bagger says when he was younger, time passed so slowly.  My comments reflect the elasticity of time, expanding and contracting, but never feeling my age. 

Then the checker begins to speak of our lives here on earth, how we forget that our real destination is heaven.  The bagger mentions his father who passed away two years ago, and how he keeps his memory alive until he sees him face to face once more when he, too, passes.  I suddenly feel too emotional to speak.

There is a slight pause before I turn to leave the check out
aisle.  The three of us are looking each other in the eyes, saying nothing, but emotion is hanging in the air.  I feel loving kindness being emitted from both of them, so much so, tears begin to seep out of my eyes.

As I walk to my car, I continue to reflect on this strange grocery store encounter.  This unusual exchange seems like a wrinkle in time, leaving me with plenty of food for thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment