Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas to be Unexpected ... so he says






I sometimes think we expect too much of
Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year.

        As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays--let them overtake me unexpectedly--waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself: 'Why this is Christmas Day!'"

             Ray Stannard Baker, pseud. David Grayson (1870-1946), American author, journalist.


Taking Christmas a little at a time throughout the year is a wonderful suggestion, but as a grandmother, mother, and host to friends, I cannot even begin to imagine waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself, "Why this is Christmas Day!"

Seriously, ... "let them take me unexpectedly" ...  as in unprepared?  Surely this was written by a man.  Who would have brought the groceries home from the grocery store ... and how many additional trips were made?  What about the baking, table setting, and polishing the silver?  When were the presents wrapped and the tree decorated?  Did any one mention Christmas cards or extra tables and chairs?  Who put the fresh linens on the bed or the decorations outside?

Geesh!  Who was this guy anyway?  Did he have a magic wand, multiple servants or a very organized, loving, and caring wife?

Of course I do understand the need to spread Christmas Spirit throughout the year.  We need to extend loving kindness every day.  What is that saying, "Be the change you want to see!" 




No comments:

Post a Comment