Tuesday, April 9, 2024

In The Midst Of Giants



"For me, trees have always been the most penetrating teachers."
Herman Hesse 

As a child, trees were my mentors. They showed me how to endure the bitter cold, tolerate extreme heat, and sway with the breeze. Even when a bough was broken, they exhibited the strength to carry on. Leaves sprouted, changed colors, and then fell gently to the ground. Following the exposed roots, I understood the connection between these trees.

Leaning against a tree, perhaps for hours, I felt the exchange of energy creating a sense of belonging. I could travel neighborhoods with friendly trees aligning city streets. If alone in a park, there would be the comfort of trees just waiting for me. Even as I was aging, I could travel anywhere and discover encouragement and solitude in the midst of trees.

When I feel especially alone, I take myself to the park with the diverse selection of trees.  In the midst of these giants, I feel safe to drum or write or sketch until I am able to return to what is termed reality. Oh, the trees I have both loved and mourned! They created an enduring knowing of who I yearned to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment