Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Harsh Flash Back



 

"We cannot be effective if we continue to cling to the old ways, 
the old strategies, the old assumptions."
George Barna

This morning I heard the plea of a friend for the world to go back to the way it was, and as I respect her, for an instant I agreed.  Then after a pause, I disagreed whole heartedly.  I have no desire to go back to the way the world has been politically, religiously, and socially.

When I now look at the past I am looking through a broader scope encompassing the injustices.  I did not know at the time that bombs were being dropped on Blacks in the USA.  I did not know that legal immigrants were treated with unnecessary cruelty.  Nor was I aware that Native Americans were being corralled and intentionally killed.

On a personal level, I had already been programed to believe that men were better than women, that women belonged in the home as property of the male.  Women did not need to know about politics or make religious decisions.  I have been told repeatedly that only Roman Catholics were going to go to heaven.  I was aware of the undercurrent between priests and altar boys, as well as sexual abuse by relatives, neighbors, or strangers to females of all ages.  Why would I have any desire to return to witness Mother Nature's gifts being raped, polluted, and destroyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment