Sunday, March 2, 2014

Shattered Glass

 
 

"Faith is the strength by which a shattered world
shall energy into the light."
 
Helen Keller
 
 
 
When I was in college, a friend of mine was in a car accident.  His head went through the windshield of his car.  He was lucky to have very little scarring on his face, as the top of his head butted through the glass.  For a long time afterwards, I would watch him in class, picking at his scalp.  He would show me pieces of shattered glass that were still trying to surface through his skin.
 
My past is much the same.  There were incidents that left no scarring to my face, but memories, like shards of glass, unexpectedly break to the surface of my mind. I turn them over and over being careful to no longer prick my skin. 
 
No matter how carefully I work, the pieces never seem to slide into place.  I find myself wondering if the picture will ever be whole or if it will ever stay together again.   It reminds me of my favorite nursery rhyme: 
 
"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the kings horses and all the kings men,
Couldn't put Humpty together again."
 
 
Perhaps the answer is before my eyes.  The importance very well may be not to place the pieces together again, but to erect a new picture.  A new refined picture reflecting not the past, but  displaying the light of the present.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment